Current:Home > StocksNew report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response -Capitatum
New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 11:09:07
A report from Hawaii Attorney General Anne Lopez focused on the actions of the Maui County mayor in the response to the devastating wildfire last summer that killed more than 100 people and razed the historic town of Lahaina.
The nearly 400-page investigative report released Wednesday raises new and troubling questions about Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen and his response to the blazes.
"This is about never letting this happen again," Lopez said in a news conference, emphasizing the report is not meant to point fingers.
As hurricane-force winds raged on Aug. 8, 2023, igniting fires, several schools closed and the state was preparing an emergency proclamation.
But at multiple times during the day, Bissen said declaring an emergency was "not necessary." At 3:15 p.m., as the fire grew in intensity, state officials tried to reach him, asking if he was in the emergency operations center. They were told "no."
Instead, with reports trickling in on social media, Bissen finally signed the emergency order at 8 p.m. that night, hours after Lahaina burned down.
Last August, CBS News confronted Bissen, who had admitted not calling Maj. Gen. Kenneth Hara, the director of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency.
"I can't speak to what — or whose responsibility it was to communicate directly," Bissen responded at the time. "…I can't say who was responsible for communicating with General Hara."
Along with killing more than 100 people, the Maui fire destroyed thousands of homes and businesses. The staggering economic loss is estimated at more than $5.5 billion.
"Very little was done to prevent something like this from happening," Sherman Thompson, former chair of the Hawaii Civil Defense Advisory Council, told CBS News Wednesday.
When asked if the government response was negligent, Sherman responded, "I think it crossed the border, it crossed the line."
CBS News has reached out to Bissen's office for comment, but has not heard back. However, Bissen posted a statement to the county website Wednesday evening which read, in part:
"We understand the state Attorney General's investigation and the hard work that Fire Safety Research Institute put into describing the nation's worst wildfire disaster in modern history. Today's Phase One report can help piece together what other fire-stricken jurisdictions have called the most complex megafire they have ever seen."
"I remain committed to bringing Lahaina residents back home so they can take additional steps toward healing," he added.
- In:
- Hawaii Wildfires
- Maui
- Lahaina
- Wildfire
- Hawaii
Jonathan Vigliotti is a CBS News correspondent based in Los Angeles. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau.
TwitterveryGood! (88288)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Mama June admits she took daughter Alana's money from Honey Boo Boo fame
- Ex-US Customs officer convicted of letting drug-filled cars enter from Mexico
- 'The weird in between': Braves ace Max Fried's career midpoint brings dominance, uncertainty
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Former Illinois men's basketball star Terrence Shannon Jr. found not guilty in rape trial
- Criticism of Luka Doncic mounting with each Mavericks loss in NBA Finals
- Supreme Court preserves abortion pill access, rejecting mifepristone challenge
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Gamestop’s annual shareholder meeting disrupted after ‘unprecedented demand’ causes tech issue
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Bijou Phillips Confirms Romance with Jamie Mazur After Danny Masterson Breakup
- Former executive of Mississippi Lottery Corporation is sentenced for embezzlement
- Mama June Shannon Reveals She Lost 30 Pounds Using Weight Loss Medication
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- David Wroblewski's newest book Familiaris earns him his 2nd entry into Oprah's Book Club
- Ruing past boarding-school abuses, US Catholic bishops consider new outreach to Native Americans
- Lena Dunham Reacts to the New Girls Resurgence Over a Decade Since Its Release
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
DeSantis calls for state of emergency amid flooding in South Florida: See photos
Hezbollah fires rockets at Israel after commander's assassination, as war with Hamas threatens to spread
Phoenix police have pattern of violating civil rights and using excessive force, Justice Dept. says
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Boeing responds to Justice Department’s allegations, says it didn’t violate deferred prosecution agreement
EPA to disband Red Hill oversight group amid Navy complaints
Sen. John Fetterman was at fault in car accident and seen going ‘high rate of speed,’ police say